We were introduced to a new project, which is Hekayat. Hekayat will provide a platform where storytelling can be explored through various mediums and stories can be shared and celebrated in a multitude of forms. It is a concept of working with Tasmeem. This project is a short 30-second video that will be projected in-between talks during Tasmeem. It will be a great interesting experience! It is interstitials which means something (in between) that is short, but it conveys an idea. Moreover, I liked the fact that that project was open for what we thought to do! However, being open made it hard to decide on a certain idea! I tried to come up with my own idea. The following step was research, which helped me develop my ideas! Looking for videos gave me ideas of what we were expected to do and helped a lot! I did some research while at the class and did the rest at home in order to be ready with ideas for the following class.
Inspired: Research: (Artist / directors)
- Andy Warhol’s video was my inspiration. I liked how his video and how the action there was normal and wise! The part when he was waiting was interesting too and made me wonder.
- Stan Brakhage’s videos were insane, and I liked the way they are mixed between two aspects; namely filming and animation.
- David Lynch
- Chris markers
- Casey Neistat is an American YouTube personality and filmmaker.
- Spike Jones
- Liquid televisions are random, and I liked them too.
- Micheal Gondry
- Quay brothers
Ideas and rules; Research
- Garangooh, steps / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FYqwM2su84
- ASMR eating / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfubMaDc9Go
- Asmr hand movements / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtEQAllyyNo
- Typing phone,laptop,&computer / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9k9PKN0YMY
- Shadows, actions / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpC9HSYMwdY
- Light or lesser Reflections / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETF2-Zz3J18&t=11s
- Drawing pattern line / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAnlGfgv7oc
- Eating 2 angles / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejr9KBQzQPM
- Liquid Mirror showing / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvf-FBvmIac
- Magnetic Slime showing / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ1WmeKir78
- Kinetic Sand cutting/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjMW51EFNVw
- I have learned from Andy W.’s video that filming from one’s own perspective makes the video interesting! While, it took 4:28 minutes, it was still interesting! Using a one angle was a simple way. It makes the viewers think a lot. I found it interesting. For example, while he was eating, I thought what would be next if it were me, so I kept watching the video to know how different are the ways we eat and/or think.
I discussed this with my classmates and professors. There was an agreement in relation to the collaboration work which was about Garangaoh; how we prepare for it, dress/dhn al oud/perfumes/golds/ nuts/ henna and all such small stuff. I was thinking of a way of showing it in an interesting way.
However, later on I changed my mind before the following class, where we had to get something to show. I watched Andy Warhol’s videos again and again as he was my inspiration and then I realized that I had the most interesting video in my mind and wanted to apply it. That was squeezing. I wanted to focus on the action and the sound. For the action, I tried to act normally and the main focus was the sound so I chose the location to be an empty swimming pool and that’s why there was echo while I was filming! Moreover, after editing, I realized if I added the video twice or triple, it would be more interesting. I chose the background pool tiles instead of white paper as a background to have a weird video. I decided to start with my video. As a minimum, it was a 30-second video to show to the following class and get some feedback. By critiquing, I realized that we had to focus on few things and to have shots from different angles. I did not found it a good idea for my video because having different angles might be confusing. However, while the professors were critiquing my work, they did not mention the angles, but rather that it had to be at the same area instead of having one up the second down and using tripod. Moreover, while I was re-doing my video, I realized that if it were zoomed in, it would be more interesting where the view could focus on the squeezed parts in detail. I planned my shots, angles and some specified steps while taking a video of the beginning and the ending of the short video. That helped me a lot in not re-taking the videos. When I started filming I realized that I knew what I was doing instead of wasting time. Planning is the best step to start any project with. However, filming was too short, but it took me an hour to take this video because while taking a longer video could help for later on while cropping and knowing what is the greatest parts. While I was filming for the first video, I realized that if my hand were in a different weird area, it would be much better and I did that in my second filming which was the final one. I believe having more than one angle is awesome, but I also realized after trying once that it did not work with my filming. For the sound, I was thinking about repeating them, so I could get the sound heard.
Processing: Experiment : Reflection:
First video, midnight // second video, afternoon.
I focused on the layout of the sauces placement, and the zoom in part. However this part took a long time but I found the result went perfect. So while the viewer see the video cannot noticed the different and they are all the same.
Played around with the lighting, brightness & contrast, layer to get them the whole video same edit, as the the sun was moving and the lighting was changing! I learned how to edit in after effect and editing each pictures to make sure they all look alike! I tried to show my classmate, and sister the video to see their feedback without telling them the steps I went through, and yes I realized none of them can see if there is a different lighting. After their feedback I make sure if the parts I have changed is going right or not and I found out that even when I told them, they did not found the different so that meant everything’s went well.
I played around with the type effects, and i used “Drop in by character.”
The digital glitch effect I have used in my whole video, I used to add the video triple times to make the sound higher.
- Firstly, I went around my house to look for sauces and yes I realized that we had a lot of them which we did not use and that they had expired. It was a great way to experiment with them. Behind the screen, I used a table and a bowl and I also used the camera for the video, but without tripod. During that experimenting, I developed the final video in spite of the placement of the sauces. However, during the critique I learned more from others’ mistakes and knew how to develop myself. What I have noticed to develop was the same as what I received during the critique. Moreover, the professors’ feedback was about showing the liquids part first. The following part was salt and pepper. For example, I took that video at midnight. I found the lighting good, but I thought with sun light, it should be much better! I bought new sauces and did the videos. While I was uploading them, I realize that working at midnight was better sunlight because the sun was moving and the lighting was changing! However, as a graphic designer, I figured out that it is my job to start editing aftereffect and get the whole video the same lighting and yes I finally did it! I reused the sauces that had dropped in the bowl. Each sauce, had its own bowls, so I reused them. I tried to develop my video, by adding weird effect which is timewrape, digital glitch, layers, brightness and typeface and effect which is complete the style of the video. Cropping the videos was not as easy as I thought, editing took more time than I expected, however when I’m almost done I realised that there is more things to edit and I have done wrong. I kept going re-do the video again and again, it is 30 seconds video so I divided them. I started with the placement, but later on I changed it again because I changed my mind instead of zoomed out I wanted zoomed in. The next step was focusing on the lighting, I found out some video was hard to edit and get the same result as the other honestly its took me 1 hour and I have noticed the over layed video keeps changing brightness when its transition from one video to the other. I used in this context gives it a weird/interesting feel, and I finally did it! Overall, the project made me learned what a bumper is and its gave me an insight on displaying different emotions .